Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

2 November 2010 0 One of the best letters ever . . .

Hola Familia!
It's always funny the delay in our sharing moments. You respond to last last week's events and I'm struggling to remember al lthat happened just last week so I can share it with you. But am SO grateful for the opportunity to e-mail you. And I'm grateful for your prompt responses.
So one of the best letters I've ever received was yesterday from my former companion Hna Goff who is still serving in Mission Viejo 5th Ward up in Orange County. It said something like this:
Hna Green! Sorry this is going to be a short letter. I am writing to tell you something amazing. You changed someone's life. Guess what...
Hna Zehuancatl is getting baptized on Friday, 29 October!
I love you. Hope all is great in Las Posas. Take care! Love, Hna Goff.
HURRAY! You remember hearing about Hna Z?! She took such great care of me on my b-day? Yeah. How awesome to fairly securely know that she was baptized this past weekend. Wow. Hurray! I wrote her a letter while waiting for a computer today. I'm excited for all of you to meet her soon. Yes Mum, I only have something like 4 or 5 transfers. I have no clue how it is November. I came to the mission field one year ago today. Wow. The time has flown by. And I do need to be better about talking to everyone. *sigh* I don't know Dad about transfers. I'm ready for some changes. Hna M and I are pretty similar which actually makes things a little harder at times :)
The mult-zone conference was pretty great. We greeted Pres & Sis Zwick and I got an awesome hug from Sis Cook. Then we talked and learned together for hours. I was not called on for anything. And he didn't end up interviewing anyone. Hna Merrill sang and it rocked the place because invited the spirit so strongly. I was very impressed with Pres & Sis Zwick. We learned lots together. They were full of love and appreciation for us. And he talked about how right at that time the Brethren were in the Salt Lake Temple and they would be praying for us. Wow. Humbling. I actually don't remember tons of what I learned at this very second. I'm trying to stretch my little brain and think of lots of different, fabulous things. PS Found out that my current zone leader Elder Packer is the grandson of Pres. Boyd K. Packer. Huh. He actually returns home soon. OH! It was so great to see some old companions and hear of their love for me. I just love them and it was a needed boost to visit with them quickly. Hna Pechin, Hna Davis, and Hna Denker were all there.
There was another baptism on Sunday evening. Hurray! Hno Montiel (the ice cream man) was able to attend which is great. We think he is really close to being ready for baptism. Hurray. He is like our grandpa - so cute. He actually gave us ice cream one day when we saw his van and followed and parked so we could say hi and buy some. Ha ha. It's pretty great teaching an ice cream man.
Hna Mercado is in her 60's I would guess. She is still doing well, but no date. We need to invite her with a specific goal, honestly. She just moved houses. And she just loves us. It is so interesting. She gets excited to see and greet us at church. She had a bright lime green sweater this Sunday and I loved it. It helps represent the happy changes that have taken place in her life.
I had an interesting experience on Sat. We met an Atheist who kept denying that God exists. The burning in my heart from the Spirit was so neat to experience as I firmly affirmed that God exists and is our loving Father. We didn't talk to Junior for very long because it seemed we were all firmly set with our understandings. I did walk away and feel like I had an Alma-Korihor experience. Kind of neat to LIVE the Book of Mormon along with read it.
And then that morning we were able to "place" our first Book of Mormon. At least that is the first time that phrasing came to mind for me. We checked on a gentleman and talked with him and his wife. They were very curious about the Book of Mormon but not fully willing to learn and visit with us because they are Christian and JW representatives visit and teach them about the Bible :( They kept the copy of the Book of Mormon and we shall see. I felt it was a good visit. It is just hard when people still miss the amazing-ness. They didn't want to confuse themselves since they had just started down the path with their church. *sigh* Ups and downs of missionary life!
Yes, there is a form for the exhchange evaluation. No, my comp and I don't tract every week. We have been busy lately with appointments and we just walk around the neighboorhoods and apartment complexes where our friends live and talk to people that way. Tracting is tricky in this area where we overlap with English missionaries. Going to most neighborhoods wouldn't be fruitful for us. And in the apartment complexes it seems we meet most people just because we are there often walking around. Another rewarding moment was yesterday when our JW manager friend at one complex greeted us and said "It's always good to see you around here. Go get 'em!" I knew he was our friend but it was great to hear that he appreciates our work. I LOVE working with so many great people!
PS We were safe on Halloween. We returned home at 6:30 pm and studied. I read lots in my Spanish Book of Mormon and read some conference talks. And yesterday a few people gave us some of their Halloween treats so we got the best of both worlds :) Good to hear everyone had a good time at Gma's party. Even Dad who took a nap. And hurray for leaves clean up! We had some cold days but the past few have been hot again. Is it really November? Hard to believe at times when I grew up with better defined seasons :) Enjoy the snow!!
Yes Dad, I know that people would rather avoid us. It's interesting to think how that is totally my nature as well. I probably wouldn't want to talk to missionaries and now I am one! I'm grateful to serve the more humble, open people of the Spanish culture. Many will stop and talk of God for a good 5 minutes if they have it.
Way to go kiddios on the good score reports. Keep up the great work! It will pay off, that's for sure. And remember to enjoy the moments now. Life is all about learning. Learning is fabulous. It is about time for me to sign off.
I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Have a great week and keep working hard. And have FHE! It's fabulous. We had two last night, in fact.
Love,
Hermana Green

No comments:

Post a Comment