Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

11 January 2011 - Hola Hola!

Hola Familia!
Ok, I don't like thinking about or saying this but the next transfer day when I will have to say farewell to SO many of my friends and leave a piece of my heart behind is Mar 23th, I think. (3rd or 4th Tues in March -- sorry don't have a calendar that goes that far with me right now). And so I'll get home on Wed. I get to serve more than 18 months :) I had no say in it at all. Pres Cook talked with Hna/Sis Denker and she said "the later option, of course!" and as we came out together, we go home together. Pretty sweet. So yeah. Please don't ask any more about it, thanks.
I am working to 'sprint' but in a way that Hna Stratton can too She is a good missionary and works hard. It's fabulous! We are very alike and yet so different. She has served 5 transfers in Oceanside/Carlsbad with 2 different companions. And it is a first to have someone older than me. She served a mini mission I don't know when for about 6 weeks and learned lots there. Her parents are divorced, her only brother claims to be an atheist and I think her mom isn't too active but her dad is. And she has a degree in Psychology from...BYU-Idaho! Oh si. Then she went to Africa for a time for service (?) and was living in Washington DC working.
[Yes mum, I am slowly or quickly becoming very much like Dad.] And Fallbrook continuously smells like a fire. Which I like but had to resolve myself to just always smelling that way (something I don't like much). And it is a fun mix. We're enjoying it. They are opening a much bigger library soon which will be so great. We have 10 full-time missionaries in this little town -- so many! And a library with 3 computers. Yeah, crazy. And yes, this whitewash has been the easiest one because Hnas Davis and Pechin left great info with lots of stickies. :)
The biggest lesson = live the spirit of the law not just the letter of the law. And thus the lesson I've seen repeated throughout my mission: LOVE makes anything and everything possible. It's just the truth! Thanks for always loving and supporting me. You guys are great! (Even though I haven't received a letter from home in weeks. JJ- you said you sent one?)
Exciting news from this week: exchanges! It was super fabulous and great. I went to Vista with Hna Weatherford (who trained Hna Stratton and was in Oceanside/Carlsbad right behind me- love the small world). It really was such a great 24 hours. We had a night of miracles. A member came with us and we had 2 Spirit-filled lessons with brand new investigators. I feel such a connection to one of them. I wish I could keep teaching and knowing her. It seriously was neat. She is ready and looking for the help and the church. Yeah, Hna W has such ENTHUSIASM. It was pretty awesome. She's from Spanish Fork and we plan to go visit Sweet Afton's when we're both home (she's only 1 transfer behind me). And she loves Thai food! Sweet. So does Hna Stratton. I already told them they have a place to stay when they go visit Bangkok :)
Oh yeah. Hna W was super impressed because I gave away a Chastity pamphlet. It was kind of funny. I didn't do a great job because I dodged the topic and just gave the pamphlet and testified it is a true principle and there are many blessings. I actually gave it to Jorge, a young man just out of high school. He he. I wonder what kind of impact it will have. I'm probably in Hna W's journal for that feat.
What else can I say? It was just great to be with her and in Vista which I've heard so much of. And we made a great team. It was fun. I have some pics to send ya eventually. And the great thing on this end (Fallbrook) was an incredible lesson with a man that Hna Stratton and Hna Barnes found praying outside the church just minutes before Hna W and I arrived to do evaluations and switch back. We entered the building and talked more with him. He's excited to begin reading the B of M and says he has come to the church often to pray. Wow. Hna Barnes first words as Hna W and I walked up to them: "How do you say gold in Spanish?" So we shall see!!
Our investigators are doing pretty well. Not doing quite what we'd like them to do, but we continue forth! We had a fun lesson on David and Goliath with an ironing board and marshmallows. Hna Barnes & Stratton came up with the idea. 5 stones = prayer, scripture reading, attending church, testimony, and baptism. Classic quote I'm loving: "The gift of the Holy Ghost will help them defeat their giant." Thank you Hna Barnes! She is a super new missionary. Only been out about 2 weeks and already had a transfer! Hna S said she is a great missionary and follows the Spirit well.
So basically missionary life is super great! And I love being a part of the true church and helping others to learn of the truth. I am about to finish reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish - one of my mission goals. In some ways I don't want to finish because I don't want to not be reading the B o M. But I have plans on how to re-start reading and studying it :) So the scripture that called my attention this week (sorry I didn't have one last week!)
Moroni 7:41 We have hope through the Atonement that we will be resurrected to eternal life because of our faith. So incredible that Jesus Christ has done his part and is willing to help and guide us complete with our part so we can receive these great blessings that God has promised and is anxious to give us. I KNOW the Book of Mormon is true and we can feel God's love and draw closer to Him by studying it (daily). I love this book and have loved sharing it with people. Lately I've said it straight out: this is the best gift I could give you.
I'm happy to hear everyone is well and busy. Good luck JJ with your schedule. Sounds super hectic! Sorry Dad about the luggage headaches. And Dad, if you are still in Thailand I would like a turquoise scarf to send to Hna Weatherford. We were only comps for 24 hours but it was fab and I feel like we were comps longer. Thanks again, Dad, for doing the cards for Hna/Sis Denker. I know she'll appreciate them. She is actually training in English work in Vista. We're in the same stake! Oh yeah. I just love her lots.
Well, I can't think of what else to say even though I'm certain there is lots more. OH! I would like full details on this FHE. And Shantaye still owes me details on her NYC trip I do believe. .... ? Way to go Chez on the ACT. That is a decent score. You want to apply to Stanford?! You rock! I still think I should've applied just to see... so go for it! Don't have a regret. Mum - I'll work on the pic of the RS sisters. We had a few more this Sunday...like 2 more? he he.
Well, time's basically up.
I LOVE YOU ALL!
Hermana Green

No comments:

Post a Comment