Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

4 January 2011 - Comin at you from . . . driving a . . .

Hola familia!
La vida es muy buena, divertida, y rapida! Wow. Okay. So I am coming at you from Fallbrook, CA. A little town of paradoxes - I like it lots. I'm serving in a baby branch. Yikes. I'm really pumped to help them grow into a ward. But it is a huge change from my last area with all its member support. The president only marked 20 families/individuals as active. Wow. Church was so small. Outside of us and the secretary and counselor, there were 5 sisters in RS. Crazy no?
And my companion is Hna Amy Stratton from Connecticut/Washington D.C. She is pretty great. We have quite a few things in common - and enough differences to make compromises and learning necessary. It's good :) She is actually older than me - 26. And things really are good, she just moves at a slower pace and I'm pumped to just sprint to the finish. We've talked about it and I'm working to slow down and work smart. And be patient and loving. She refuses to be 'guilted' into anything.
We actually WHITEWASHED this area behind Hna Davis (went home) and Hna Pechin (in San Juan Capistrano) which is crazy. It has REALLY stressed out Hna Stratton. It is her first area change and she wanted anything but a whitewash. Oh well! We got what we got. We're going to have success - I know it.
And I'm driving a TRUCK now. How crazy is that? It cracks me up. We have some serious boony area in our area. Should be great fun. Search for Bonsall and Rainbow on google earth and let me know what it looks like. We've only stayed in town so far - but we do have members and one family of investigators out there in Bonsall/Oceanside. It's a 2011 Chevy. It's nice but it has taken some getting used to. I parallel parked the other day and it didn't work out super well :) now I'm not so sure if I really do want a truck of my own. I miss my little car. I was good at parallel parking!
Wow. So much I'd like to tell you! It has been a good first week. I feel like I'm in Idaho again with the cold and instead of snow I have rain. Not so fun. I'm super grateful for tight exercise pants that I hide under my skirts and my red coat and blue scarf.
We have some promising investigators which is super awesome. Last night we had two great FHEs. I just LOVE them!
So. Familia Romero. Dad already has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and is pretty ready to go. We realized we can also help the 10 and 8-yr-old prepare to be baptized with him. The mom is a less-active member. And then there are 2 rowdy little boys. It sure is fun! Another marriage is required but I'm very hopeful.
And then Hno Munoz who lives with his sister and bro-in-law who were baptized in April. Hna Stratton was impressed in a lesson that we need to be here helping him at this time - neat! And so we shall. He is intelligent and willing. And he's living with members which makes things so much better! Support and examples.
Phew. Well. We have lots of less-actives we are working to know and help return. And I like this area. It is a small town...and yet not. And it is mostly guerro....and yet not. The Hispanics are all mixed in which is great fun.
So I may have mentioned already that a great blessing of my mission is that I have developed a LOVE for the Book of Mormon. I really have. I would love to just sit and read it lots....but that's not how it goes :) I know it is the word of God and as we follow its teachings we will achieve our personal quest of salvation. I just love the gospel! And I love sharing it with other people. Missionary life is really great. I've stayed smiling and patient in this change. And it's just so much better that way!
Oh, this is my 4th time doing a whitewash and in the transfer meeting Pres. Cook said "we rarely whitewash sisters. It shows how much confidence we have in you." Huh. All I've ever done is whitewash!! So crazy. I asked him about it and he just smiled and told me to help Hna Stratton know how to do it when I'm gone. *sigh* Luckily Hna Davis and Hna Pechin did a great job. This is the easiest whitewash I've done. And Hna Merrill is still there in San Marcos. And her companion is Hna Goff! It's such a small little world here in the mission :) Hna Goff was my companion in Mission Viejo and before that she was here in Fallbrook for a really long time.
Well. Thanks for the updates on everyone. I love you all super much! Mom, you are completely forgiven for forgetting to e-mail me. It stopped bugging me pretty quickly after it began. But about all those updates -- I need more info! Like about Aubrey and Brenda. What are those girls up to? Didn't know about either thing. Yes received a good letter from Steels. Was thinking Natalie and Jordan would be expecting soon :)
The mission actually had 12 people baptized Christmas Day. 5 in our ward. Sweet! I do miss the members and investigators back in San Marcos but I've already adapted and feel great love for the members and investigators here. I'm excited to work with them.
18 April to return? I don't know. Sounds fine. I'd rather not think about it. I don't like that my time is coming to an end :( I knew nearly half of the missionaries going home in the transfer meeting which made me feel really old. Way to go, Dad on not getting upset! That is impressive.
I am SMILING! And I'm going to go print pics soon :)
LOVE YOU! time's up.
Hermana Green

No comments:

Post a Comment