Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

7 December 2010 - Un bautismo...de exito!

Hola Familia,

Si. Tuvimos un bautismo este domingo y fue muy muy bueno. Sorry. Time to switch languages! And I guess I don't always do it perfectly since Dad picked up on a slip. What can I say? My brain does think more in Spanish and then I impose the rules on English. It doesn't always work out, but it makes for some laughs.

So Hno Montiel was baptized on Sunday and it was a great service. The speakers were a touch long winded. Sigh. Everyone was touched by Hna M and I singing "Jesus es mi luz" even with my cold-impeded voice. And although it took three tries to comply with the "inmersion" part of baptism, all is well! he he. He just wasn't quite all the way under the water. Part of it is that his son baptized him and it was his first time baptizing anyone. The bishop did a great job of coaching them through it. The trick is for the person to just act like they're sitting down. Oh and we had tons of food afterward. We invited lots of people to bring a little treat. And Hna M made pudding pies and I made cookies (so sad as they were Tollhouse recipe but came out strange. We're blaming the oven. Oh and that I melted the butter. oops!) An inactive family we've worked lots with was there. And another inactive member. Hurray! And he had quite a bit of family. The best surprise was that the Familia Perez from Oceanside 5th ward showed up. I was surprised to see them. Then they told me Hna Perez is the cousin of Hno Montiel, Sr. Crazy small world! They were super happy. And Hno Montiel was super happy. He gave me so many toothy smiles - and he doesn't give those often. Things are great.

Yep yep. It's a warm-all-over kind of feeling to know we've helped people "open the door to salvation." And it's so rewarding when people make good decisions that we know will bless their lives forever.

More happy news is that Hno Lule and Hna Aguilar decided dates for their wedding and baptism - January! And we have a handful of other dates in January. Including young Kevin. We still have work to do as they did not make it to church this week. But we talked to the whole family and they all set goals to help Kevin achieve this big goal. And Hno Milian was at church again and the baptism. Things are going pretty well with him. We have a good relationship among the four of us. And his girlfriend seems super willing to come back into activity. Hurray.

We met with Familia Garcia again last night and made the mom cry very happy tears when her son said he wants to prepare himself for baptism. Hurray! He's 8. They have a daughter who is 7 and she really wants to be baptized too. They don't understand too much but they are quick and willing to learn. And the mom has a strong testimony. The dad wasn't there for the lesson but he is a member so it should be pretty easy to get him on board.

What other great things can I share.... Christmas calls are coming up. We'll go to the Lule/Aguilar home for calls and dinner :) So around 4 or 5 pm CA time. Will that work okay for you? And will it be cheapest to use their cell phones to call your cell phones? Just let me know.
We had breakfast at the Haynie household again this morning. It was delicious. And we walked away with a recipe for sour cream pancakes. They're good! I snapped a picture before leaving so you'll get to see the Stake Pres and his wife in the next batch. Glad the pics and CD arrived safely. Yes, I used a red car to scratch a blue truck. I was so upset with myself. Pres. Cook was great. His first question after asking about our health was "are you smiling?" I wasn't. But eventually I did. Not too big of a deal. I think the other car owner never called about the damage even though we left all the info. The basics: I got to close to them when pulling forward into a parallel park spot. Gr.

So great to hear the exciting news about JJ. That's crazy he got the type of truck I've been thinking about! ha ha. I'm glad you are all enjoying it. I'm sure I will, too. But I don't want to think about buying a car. Yuck. I like just worrying about stretching my monthly budget and no other money concerns. PS Dad please stop mentioning just how much time I have left. I really am trying to forget and just work hard. Ok, I'll say I go home next year. But it does't directly answer the question: how much time do you have in the mission.

Super exciting news about Lhing and Khanh!! Hurray. And I'll actually get to be part of the celebrations. Will she stay in Thailand for the whole pregnancy? Looks like I have tons of places around the world to visit next summer. Yikes.

Our apartment has absolutely no Christmas decorations. I thought about making a little paper Christmas tree like I did last year in Thailand. I don't know if it is actually really worth my time. Better to write a letter to someone :) (And check on the suggestion, Mum. I already completed it before I read it!) We both received packages today which was fun. We had to pick them up at the post office. I hope that doesn't happen on the next one! I had to wait a whole week...and it's the package with the coat. sigh. I actually received my first gift last night: Hna Aguilar gave me a pair of gloves because I've lost mine. They are super warm and I'm happy with them.

Well. As all is well there and all is well here I'll just finish up. I love you all so much and am super grateful for your help, love, and support! I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father and He listens to and answers our prayers. I know that He sent His Beloved Son Jesus Christ to our earth to save all humankind. Pres. Haynie talked about how we know that the Savior's Atonement applies to all the people in all the worlds they've created. How incredible! I love this time of year to re-focus in Him and His humble birth. We've done okay at giving thanks and it is a good tradition. Thanks for reminding me! I love you. I'm so grateful that we can all work hard individually and collectively to be an eternal family after this life. I love you all!!! Keep being great examples and witnesses of the Savior.

Love,
Hermana Green

No comments:

Post a Comment