Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

1 March 2011 - True Disciples of Christ

Buenos dias familia!

Ustedes son buenisimos. Gracias por todo!! Your e-mails brought lots of smiles to my face this fine sunny day in CA. (I think spring is coming and I love it!) Thank you, thank you for all you do. Mum said I'm an example of what a true disciple of Christ should be. Wow. That's weighty. I know that I have tons of flaws and imperfections but that is exactly how God loves me (and each of us) and that is exactly why He created the beautiful plan of happiness and sent His Son Jesus Christ. I love the gospel!!

And I love all of you so much. You have all helped me to become who I am and thus you have all had a part in the miracles and changed lives that I have seen firsthand. Isn't it amazing how we are really truly super connected?! I love ya!

Yesterday Hna Stratton and I did a touch of exploring and we went to this tiny piece of the Pala Indian Reservation that is in our area. Crazy, huh? It was ok, but we were nervous that we weren't allowed to be there. We're pretty sure we're good. We met a couple who had studied before with missionaries. The husband seems pretty interested but the wife is studying with another church. We shall see what happens. And before we went there we chose a random street to find people. We found 3 workers :) Those are the people we look for when we are surrounded by beautiful hills and million-dollar homes (eek). It was funny because we spotted the first gentleman and said "just what we're looking for!" and I quickly pulled over causing Hna Stratton to laugh. She partly didn't expect me to do it. But that is why we went there!

We did exchanges with the English sisters last Wed night to Thurs. The dinner appointment was pretty much awesome. I could've stayed and chatted with them for another hour easily! It was great. The Hna is writing a book to help new converts adapt to the "mormon culture" and so asked me some Q's relating to Spanish work. I served with Hna Burris who started in Spanish work and is now in English work. It was good. We did quite a bit of walking and not much teaching :( They (in English work) actually have very few lessons - a handful each week. Wow! I am SO grateful that I have been in Spanish work all my mission. It's a whole different world. eeii.....

And our investigators are only so-so this week. Hno Munoz decided he isn't ready and they are leaving for a vacation to Mexico this week so we stoppped teaching him last week :( And the Romero Family promised they would come to church and we stopped by 80 mins before but they did not come. Ah well, we keep working. We've learned tons about respecting people's agency and just having pure love. We haven't felt that the members really trust us and it makes things difficult. Hna Stratton's testimony of the Book of Mormon has really grown as she noted that is the way new members would survive in the branch with its very few member fellowshippers. But on we go! Learning, stretching, and growing. Heavenly Father has helped us greatly. And yesterday we felt guided by the Spirit the whole day which was super great.

Missionary life is great!!

Well, I can't believe that I return home semi-soon! Eek. To answer Q's -- please invite everyone that you want to. Mostly for the after gathering (maybe through face book?) And please, only have our fam come to the airport. Those are the rules and I am striving to be exactly obedient. Thanks! The food....I don't know exactly what Mexican food. I'd love to make some. We could do a little of Pounders and a little Mexican. I'm pretty flexible because don't want to spend too much time thinking on it :) If Pounders has rice then that is pretty perfect. We just need tortillas and salsa and aguas frescas...maybe Horchata. And I'd LOVE to have arroz con leche -- could the family help in bringing that? It would convert to our version of rice pudding, basically. Which won't be quite the same but close enough. Just rice with cinnamon and milk. Yum. I definitely plan to do a bunch of cooking with you, but with such short notice let's go simple. :) oh and we should have some fruit - is anything in season in Utah at this time? :( I'm going to miss a tropical climate.

Packages have been received and greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that Hna Weatherford said she LOVED the scarf you sent her directly. And Hna Stratton was super excited about the dictionary. THANK YOU! And I'm super grateful for the contact lenses because I need to change them out this week.

Request - I would really like to attend 1 session of general conference in the conference center this April. Could you look into the ticket situation, please? Thanks for the recipes again, Mum. Now I need one for a pie shell because a Guatemalan family here wants to learn how to make pie :)

DAD -- yes, the San Diego Temple. And I'll surely sing for you when I return home. I'm not that practiced in some ways and yet I do feel my ability has improved some on the mission - maybe because so many of my friends don't know how to sing ;)

Hna Stratton says "hi" back with a smile when I delivered your salutation. We gave the spinny toy away in a raffle yesterday and they seemed to enjoy it. Thanks! We drive a 'sandy beach' Toyota Corolla. "A lady's car" according to the vehicle coordinator. Ha ha. Elder Denos. He's fun. Keep enjoying beautiful Thailand!! I'm very excited to go back.

MOM -- I'm sure the LP ward would pull out a mini fiesta for our visit. I'm not sure who to contact about it. I could probably just do it when I get back. They are pretty good at impromptu stuff. Would you want it at the church building even? And I don't need a copy of the note from Pres. Cook. I'll see it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment