Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

15 March 2011 - Stuck in a river, first time at church, chocolate chip cookies, and such fun things!

Hola Familia!
Can't believe we're near the end. It's crazy. We've had a pretty darn good week. Still with struggles but many neat experiences too!!
Yesterday was pretty hilarious because we chose to drive into a seemingly dry river bed...then we got stuck. 3 nice firemen called the tow truck (which I was super unexcited to pay for but knew I should) and then they pushed us out and so all was well. Ha ha! I snapped 2 pics. Fun stuff. Yeah for Pala! Sadly we didn't get to visit the less active member that lives just across the river. In order to get there we have to go out of our area...so won't happy probably. Hna Stratton wanted to wade across and go for it. I didn't. And then we had another little struggle but on we go!
And Familia Bailon came to church on Sunday. It was so super great!! Church was pretty crazy as we got everyone there and settled then we had a bunch of parts in the program and yeah. Jesus is an active RM and is really a great example for his mom. She basically seems decided to truly learn and know ... and be baptized. It's awesome!! (actually her current baptismal date is 16 April. It'd be super cool if it worked out.) She had a good experience at church and so did 8-yr-old Jeffrey. I Love having the kids and youth with the English ward because they have great supportive leaders now. It's such a huge blessing! It is almost a surprise when I see leaders go up and talk to the parents about their kids or activities coming up. It's just such a beautiful thing!
And so then Jonny (former investigator) and Rosalio (former investigator) also came to church this Sunday which was pretty great. They both have some semi-big hurdles but hopefully soon they will be able to be baptized. Both seem to have a testimony and are reading in the Book of Mormon -- the most powerful life-changing book I know of. I LOVE the Book of Mormon! I know it contains God's words for us and answers to questions. And it is how we come to truly know God our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
So there was a fair amount of running around to get all these people (7 in total) settled and in their respective places. Then Hna Stratton and I had offered to sing in sacrament meeting and all was set for that. I haven't wanted to tell people I'm leaving but decided I had better do so and so in our meeting with the bishopric I mentioned it and was given time in sacrament mtg to speak. Ah! My first and last impromptu talk on the mission. Guess I couldn't leave without giving at least one :D In that meeting they also assigned one of the elders to speak because all the speakers flaked out. And then when we walked into sacrament meeting (it's last), they assigned Hna Stratton to speak as well. eek! She had only 15 mins of prep. So Elder Stevens spoke, then I shared some thoughts, then Hna S and I sang, and then Hna S spoke. Sweet stuff. I think the song was poweful which is wonderful. I'm excited to sing in the home ward too...at least I'm thinking about it. I am not however excited to speak for so long in sacrament meeting. That's crazy! That is an entire lesson and usually I have a companion to bounce off with. What am I going to say for that much time?! Ugh. Guess I'll use those 2 plane hours to think about it.... (Thanks Mom for the head's up.)
Well, we looked into the pumpkin pie and decided it was not worth it. We've never done it before and didn't have much time. We settled for chocolate chip cookies and they were a hit. I never knew that spooning dough onto the cookie sheet is a talent. It was fun. The family was happy but they still really want pie -- apple pie. And we ate the food, not the plate Dad. You really aren't going to eat cooked beans? Wow. I don't know how that'll go down. They have beans and rice with nearly every meal. And I realized I'm totally converted to tortillas. Can't eat Mexican food without 'em. I just love 'em!! I'm totally going to learn how to make them when I return home. It'll be some fun adventures. I'm glad we're adding them to the menu.
Well. We have a bunch of new investigators and we had lots of lessons. We are working to have daily contact with them as PMG teaches and we've done before. We're excited to see some results. We haven't seen Hna Diaz this week. But Hno Romero (not the family) said the closing prayer even though he wasn't super happy about it. And he did a great job. He now has 3 proud mothers :D His blood mother even clapped her hands after he finished his prayer. It was cute. She loves us and I'm not super excited to tell them I'm leaving when we go over tonight. Oh well. Has to be done.
Hmm...well. Things are pretty good. Oh yeah! We taught Victoria in Pala yesterday. It was pretty great. She went to an English ward in Valley Center about a month ago and enjoyed it. And so she is open to learning more. Funny Pres. Cook said "I don't want to see any 'scalps' so be careful on the reservation." We just won't do any proselyting when we go to visit her. All should be well. Oh and she hasn't had electricity since Dec. Can you imagine? yikes.
We had a good FHE with Fam. Martinez last night. They are fun. I'm excited for them to continue learning and progressing. The Hna is going to start temple prep classes. Oh and Sunday afternoon we found our beloved Hna Maria Rodriguez. She went to Mexico for a month and we missed her. (Mexico is like a black hole that sucks people in! And often doesn't let them go.) She came back very content and is sad that I'm leaving. But life is pretty great.
So, overall missionary life is great. Hna Stratton just told me she counted all our investigators and we have 27. That is nuts. Seriously. We have lots of families which is great and lots harder.
I love being a missionary and I'm working to not think about the end (even though I know today is my last P-day. eek). I have been so grateful to serve and I have learned so so much. I know God lives and is our Father. I know that His perfect plan is the way to have happiness now and forever. I know Jesus Christ came to give His life to make the plan possible. On Sunday I read 2 Nephi 25: 23, 26, 29 (b/c they go with the hymn we sang "I Believe in Christ" and I'd just studied that chapter) and shared some thoughts.
I love you all! The church is true and I know it. I also know LOVE makes anything and everything possible. One of the big lessons I've learned as a missionary.
Love ya!!
Hna Green
PS Correction from last week. The scripture was D&C 50:14 in that we are the preachers and the Holy Ghost is the teacher.
PPS Mum I haven't seen a package and about this time they begin holding them for transfer meeting so I might get it next week :) And could you please send a beautiful scarf so I can give it to Sis. Cook?! I just thought of it and if you send it off tomorrow it should work out perfectly. Thanks! I want to give one to Mari & Rocio in Oceanside but I can wait until our visit. -- which I'm very excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment