Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

14 September 2010 - Oh where oh where has the time gone?

Hola family,
More and more I realize that time is moving quickly forward. When did I become an "older" missionary?! I don't know about this....
We went to Stake President Haynie's (big) home this morning for breakfast with all the missionaries that are serving in the stake. It was great and delicious food. He challenged us to really treasure our time as missionaries because we don't have to allot time for anything else -- and that never happens again in life. Later, we'll always have families and callings, etc. etc.
It was a pretty good week as we had Zone Conference - I love seeing the Cooks and receiving hugs :) We took pictures and I'll have to get a copy from the elders. We talked about many small and simple things which was helplful. And we talked a lot about Joseph Smith and the Restoration. I love how we are working on sharing the First Vision sacredly and reverently. I have a hard time just hearing someone read it now. I want to stop them and say "No, I'll say it at 15 mph" It is just so much stronger because you can visualize it and the Spirit can testify throughout.
We found two amazing Marias in this week. They are both excited to learn and were excited to receive copies of the Book of Mormon and hear that the Savior visited the people here in the Americas. Both have challenges to overcome - who doesn't?! But I love how I just know that the gospel can heal all problems. Sometimes I think "I don't know. How can I help them?" And then I remember - by teaching them the gospel. And if they will live it, all will be well. It's the truth and I wish more people could see it. And if they would just TRY it. That is what counts. Test the Lord and see how He blesses us.
Destiny (age 9) is doing well. We are planning her baptism for the 3rd of October right after General Conference (wahoo!! My last one as a full-time missionary :( ) She is really excited and has set an ambitious reading goal. She likes to talk and reminds me of Shantaye at times :) Oh yeah. My district leader Elder Kendell reminds me of JJ. I had forgotten to mention it. He is soft-spoken but a great missionary. And so I have hope that JJ was a great missionary as well.
Hey wow. He just sat down right next to me and now we have four missionaries in a row. That is pretty exciting. Just need one more on the end and it would be straight missionaries. Woo hoo! Missionary work is fabulous. Hey - here is a thought for you. The stake here is really pushing for members to develop relationships with nonmembers by having nonmembers in their home at least once every month. I think you should try that out. Even if it is just for a dinner. They realize that helping the people be here and feel the Spirit does lots for them wanting to learn more.
Our investigators are doing well. Kevin is pretty great too. He didn't come to church, but should be ready for baptism in the middle or end of August. I loved his response on Sun night after we explained keeping the sabbath holy: "Uh oh Joseph (his brother). We did something bad." Then he says how they went to a baseball game that day (and not church). I love children! His mom's response: "Children always tell the truth, hermanas." yes they do and it is fabulous!
Hermana Merrill had a good birthday. The members had a cheesecake with strawberries on top. It was delicious. And she has been able to try more 'classic' Mexican dishes which is just as fun for me. She didn't want much focus on her so all is well. I gave her the marroon scarf that I had. I can switch it out when the other arrives.
Well, I can't think of much else to share with you. This is the truth and we can all know it. And it is the happiest thing there is! Everyone everywhere can apply the gospel to whatever they know or do best and it makes sense - because it is truth. We talked of that a little with the English sisters at the breakfast this morning.
Scripture of the day: 2 Cor 9:7 God loveth a cheerful giver.
I'm trying to do an even better job of cheerfully giving - everything and always. It isn't always the super easiest thing. But Heavenly Father loves us and gives us so much!
I love you all. Keep up the great work as member missionaries and disciples of Jesus Christ. He lives and will help us in our righteous efforts.
Love,
Hermana Green

No comments:

Post a Comment